Firefly Prologue

FIREFLY

Prologue

~6 Years Ago~

“Congrats bro!” I say to my brother, Jace, for about the 50th time tonight. This is just the first graduation party of a long week full of grad parties to come.

Jace and his best friend, Justin, graduated earlier today. We are all here celebrating with them.

“I’m so proud of you Jace.” I give him a hug and a sloppy wet kiss on his cheek. He pushes me off and wipes his face.

“Ewww!” he groans. “Thanks sis… he pushes me back, now go bother Justin,” he winks and tilts his head in Justin’s direction were he is sitting with some blond bimbo from school all over him.

I throw my brother a nasty look. He knows how I feel about Justin. Heck, everyone knows how I feel about Justin. But, other than some looks, and our normal flirting, Justin only sees me as another little sister. It’s not like I’m years younger than he is, because I’m not, just by a year and a half.

Justin must feel me watching him because he looks my way. He pushes the girl off of him once he sees my face. She stumps off after he says something to her. He continues with his conversation with a guy sitting next to him. He keeps throwing me looks, but I ignore him as I go off to find Jayla, his sister, and our friends.

****

About 20 minutes later I am laughing and having a great time with my friends when Justin comes over and taps me on the shoulder.

I turn and look up at him.

‘Yes?” I raise an eyebrow. “Can we talk for a minute?” I shrug and gesture for him to lead the way.

He grabs my hand and moves us through the crowd and into the quiet house. We head into the library.

This talk must be important if he is going somewhere that he can make sure we aren’t going to be interrupted.

I pull away once we are in the room. I take a seat on the couch. He comes and sits next to me.

I huff in irritation. “Sooo?” I drag out the word.

He runs his hand through his hair. Uh-oh, that’s his tell. This conversation is about to get deep.

“You better hurry up before your harem comes looking for you.” I say bitterly. He sighs.

“Firefly, this conversation is a long time coming. I’m going to be completely honest with you and tell you what is on my mind.”

Oh, he has me curious now. I stop being a bitch and become open to him. He notices the change in my posture,.

He smiles, “Thanks for turning the bitch off.” I smirk, “It can turn right back on if you don’t hurry up and spit it out.” He sits back, “Love your sas Jen.”

He takes in a deep breath and lets it out.

“Okay, Firefly, I know you have had a crush on me for a very long time, but what you don’t know is…” he pauses and takes in another deep breath. “I have had a crush on you too. And it has been going on for a very long time. In fact, it’s not just a crush, I’m pretty sure I'm in love with you Firefly. But, I never wanted to pursue it because we both needed to go through the high school experience. I knew we were too young for the type of relationship I know we would have had. Why am I telling you this now?” he swallows.

“Because I couldn’t hold back. I knew I was hurting you with having girls all over me and me dating them. I never loved any of them. Only you have my heart Firefly. They were just fun for hook ups or parties, nothing more. I’m sorry for hurting you, for never telling you how I felt when I knew how you felt, for never giving you the choice to have an “us”. I’m just sorry Jen.’

He stops talking and looks at me.

My heart is pounding. Justin, my Justin, the boy I’ve loved since I was a child just told me he loved me and has been crushing and in love with me for years.

Tears well up in my eyes at his words. I never thought I would ever hear those words from him. I had given up and decided that Justin Black would never be more than a friend, or worse, a brother to me.

“Jen?” he is waiting for me to say something, but I am speechless.

I lick my lips.

His eyes drop down to them.

“Justin I…” I shake my head. “I’m not sure how to express how I’m feeling. I never thought I would hear those words leave your lips.’ My eyes drop down to said lips as he nibbles on them nervously.

I meet his eyes again.

“I love you too Justin. I agree, we needed time to do our own thing and grow up. However, I’m not happy I didn’t get to decide that for myself, or even know how you felt when you’ve known all along. I thought you only saw me as a little bratty sister.” I admitt to him.

He shakes his head. “No Jen, never as a sister… bratty? Yes, but not a sister.” His mouth kicks up into a teasing smile.

I hit his arm. “Shut up asshole.” I smile.

“Ouch,” he rubs his arm. “Although, I did think of you as a boy sometimes. Especially when you punch me, or when we practice at fighting,” he winks.

“Yep, and for that you deserve another punch,” I tease.

“Soooo, where do we go from here?” I say seriously.

“I think we are still too young for the type of relationship we would no doubt have, but I’m tired of holding back. I am going out of state for college after the summer, but I think we should try us. Maybe for the summer and see if a long distance relationship is something we can handle until you graduate and I can convince you to go to school with me,’ he tilts his head.

“What do you think?”

I smile big. “I say yes.”

“So, are we dating now?” he leans in.

I nod.

“Good, then I can do something i’ve wanted to do for years.”

He cups my face and stares into my eyes with excitement, fear, and something else I can't make out. He pulls my face closer.. and then he does what I’ve always hoped for and dreamed of…

He kisses me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello & Welcome! Introduction